Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Harriet Tubman

"Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People To Freedom" by Carole Boston Weatherford and Kadir Nelson is a remarkable book. With wonderful words and ingenious illustrations, it shares the story of the Underground Railroad and captures the courage of Harriet Tubman.

I am teaching the book to a small group of students and today we took a "picture walk" through its pages. We were making predictions and I was asking "higher order thinking" questions to my kids about what we were seeing and hearing in the story.

- "What would you do if someone owned you and wanted to sell you away from your family?" I prodded.

One of my students raised his hand. He looked at me through serious, sincere eyes,

- "My Dad tried to make it to to the United States from Mexico. He had to hide in the desert. The police were trying to catch him. He was hungry but he found a stream and drank some water..."

We realized that the Moses story is still being lived out today, just as it was being lived out during the days of slavery in America, just as it was being lived out in the days of the people of Israel in captivity in the land of Egypt.

I was asking theoretical questions and my student answered with a practical story from his life. He was my Moses today, leading me to the "illegal immigration" issue through the eyes and heart of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment